Math for the Brave!

Math for the Brave!

Josiah Chung, 5th Grade, Editor-In-Chief

Everyone, at one point or another, has thought they were smart enough to be someone great. Someone who could be known as someone brilliant, like Steve Jobs, or Bill Gates. Some people think that they’re smart as a mathematician like Albert Einstein. Some people fulfill that title and become great mathematician. The AMC 8 (American Mathematics Competition) test is a test sent out nationally, and it’s a test that places you among others who may have more or less talent than others. That will bring joy among you if you place high enough, and if you place low you may feel a little bit down. In Woodsboro Elementary four students walked out victoriously. Although everyone should be proud for what they have done, there were those who displayed amazing talent in this national competition. Tejal Patel (6th grade GATE) was a student who scored in the top 5% of the country, achieving honors from AMC 8, and placed first place in our school. In second place at Woodsboro, Arjun Patel (5th grade GATE)  earned the Merit Achievement Certification from AMC for his high achievement on the exam. In third place there was a tie, between Caroline Ives and Lauren Owen, who ranked 3rd place in Woodsboro. Although people believe that 6th graders are always better, however there is a theory that the younger,  the more motivated they’re to become better and advance to a higher math. For the 6th grader who were invited to take the test, they averaged 11.1 points (18 people participating). For 5th graders invited to take the exam, the average was 14.5 (with two students participating). Congratulations to all high achieving students who were invited to participate in this nationally prestigious competition. It sure takes nerves of steels to do AMC 8 and all 20 students from Mrs. Chung’s math class showed great success!