Schools Planning To Reopen Soon

On March 18, 2021, the PYLUSD district announced that schools will be allowed to reopen at full schedule starting on April 19th. As the amount of COVID-19 cases decline and the amount of vaccines becomes more available in California, in-person learning will be more encouraged. Students will either be allowed to attend school in-person, which is recommended by the district, or sign up for remote learning. Students will not be allowed to switch once they have been signed up for a single type of learning. Importantly, PYLUSD districts will continue to follow all COVID-19 health and safety protocols set up by the CDPH and the OCHCA. This is a wonderful opportunity for those who have been forced into staying home to take care of their children, as they can now safely send their child back to school and go back to work. There will be different schedules for elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools. 

For elementary schools, students will return to the traditional schedule where they opt for in-person or remote learning and will attend school five days a week at about 6 and a half hours per day (5 and a half hours on early release days). Schools will follow health and safety guidelines and teachers and other staff on site will be regularly tested for COVID. Students attending school as in-person, however, will not be required to test for COVID. In classrooms where the amount of students exceeds the capacity of the classroom due to distancing requirements, students will be rotated in an equitable manner to be supervised in extended classroom areas. Also, time for physical education, music, computer learning, and visiting the library will be reinstated as well. This is excellent news as during the first and second trimester, students could not participate in these activities, excepting music. However, musical instruction has been more difficult than usual due to the fact that instruments must be tuned without proper instruction of teachers and learning to play them must be achieved through the help of pre-recorded videos rather than physical lessons.

Middle school and high school students’ instructional schedules will stay the same, except that cohorts will combine to allow students to attend in-person four days a week at almost seven hours a day. On Wednesdays, all students will be required to attend as remote learners. This is so schools can sanitize classrooms for future learning. As said before, safety measures will be implemented. If students exceed classroom capacity, they will be split into different classrooms or even attend from Zoom for the safest possible learning experience. This is known as an “extended classroom”.When schools reopen on April 19th, those in middle school will still be able to participate in extracurricular activities. All schools will share an updated schedule with families.

This year has been quite tough on teachers and students. But now, students will finally be able to return to a nearly prior to COVID learning schedule and will get to see their friends in-person again. They will get to participate in extra and co-curricular activities with others and will get to take one step closer toward the end of the COVID crisis. This opportunity is great for students and parents who have had trouble with childcare due to work. Although some disagree with schools reopening and believe that they should wait longer so that the safety of the staff and students is ensured, it is wonderful for students getting the proper education they need. A special thanks to the PYLUSD district for putting in so much work this school year and allowing students to return to their original schedule.

We hope to see you in classrooms soon!