Filed under Campus Life

Honor Band and Honor Orchestra

Honor Band and Honor Orchestra is a gathering of the top music students in the district. Honor Band and Honor Orchestra gives music students a chance to meet students from different schools. Students who wanted to participate were given a chance to audition. Almost all of the students from Woodsboro who auditioned were chosen to participate. The students who are in these programs have six rehearsals – once every week, before performing at the Performing Arts Center. They are also required to practice every day on their own at home. In each musical group, the students are learning four, songs to perform. The Honor Band songs are “March of the Irish Guard”, “Majestica”, “Woodland Overture”, and “Eclipsis”. The Honor Orchestra are playing two-page long songs such as, “Tribal Dance”, “Joust”, “Bushwhacker Stomp”, and “Barcarolle”. “The music chosen for the honor groups,” explained Phil Mortensen, Visual and Performing Arts Coordinator, “is designed to challenge the motivated elementary musician to play at a more advanced level. They must be able to play and read their music easily.” All of the students who have decided to participate in these music groups have worked really hard to prepare for the performance.

Many of the students seem to be enjoying the experience as an “honor” musician. Connor Saba, a bass player from Glenknoll Elementary School says, “I would recommend this program to others because it is an opportunity to test your knowledge and then learn more about the instrument you play.”

These musical groups will be performing on  March 21 at the District Performing Arts Center at El Dorado High School from 7:00 PM to 8:15 PM. Keep in mind, this concert is free, so feel free to join us to support our talented musicians here at Woodsboro Elementary!