Land of Stories Book Review

Land of Stories Book Review

Ashley Chen, Contributor

Alex and Connor seem like the ordinary pair of twins. But when they receive a book from their loving grandmother, they find their world turned into a fairy tale—literally. The Land of Stories, written by the famous actor from the t.v. show Glee, Chris Colfer, describes how one life can change greatly with one book. Alex is a girl who answers whatever question is thrown at her and is probably one of the best problem solvers. However her brother Connor, is the total opposite. Connor is talented, but he doesn’t exactly seem to love showing it, or he doesn’t know it himself. A day before their birthday, the twins were paid a visit from their grandmother. As a gift, their grandmother presents them with an ordinary book of fairy tales, or that’s what they thought. After experiencing weird sights and sounds, Alex and Connor fall into the book! Alex and Connor have only one way to get out and that is by collecting certain items to perform something called “The Wishing Spell”. On the way, they meet good, bad, and neutral characters that seem a bit familiar, yet unusual. Mrs. Chung’s class had a book club in her class about The Wishing Spell and talked about their favorite events, so a few people have been asked about their opinion on this book. A student from Mrs. Chung’s class, Lindsey Nguyen, says, “I liked the Land of Stories because it gave you a new aspect on fairy tales. Its a humorous, and exciting tale with twists and turns at every chapter. If you think that the story is going down one way, BOOM, its going down a whole different way and fairy tale.” Students have also been asked about whether or not they would recommend this book to other children. “This book is adventurous, humorous, and has many cliffhangers that will keep anyone at the edge of their seats!” Lauren Owen, also from Mrs. Chung’s class , “I would recommend it because it is a thrilling twist to your original fairy tales that brings your mind to amazing and wonderful places following the strange lives of two twins.” The Land of Stories has been taken to a liking for students and hopefully it will keep on spreading. This book, full of adventure, humor, and cliffhangers, is guaranteed to keep any reader on the edge of his or her seat! This book would be recommended for at least 3rd grade because there is a little graphic detail and mini romance. This book is also in Woodsboro’s library and its level is 5.0. In my opinion, this book would probably deserve a 8 or 9 out of 10.