Little Buddies

Little Buddies

Emily Park, Writer

To experience working with younger kids and maybe even just different people, this year, most every Friday, Mrs. Chung’s 6th grade GATE class visits their little buddies in Mrs. Proctor’s 3rd grade class. Once the 6th graders get there, Mrs. Chung will either continue a lesson or teach a new one. Most of her lessons are based on grammar, reading, or writing. A few times before, the older kids even helped the younger ones with their social studies.

Some of the things Mrs. Chung’s class have been teaching them is writing; such as different parts of speech, using their senses, expanding sentences, and creating their own stories then editing and proofreading them afterward. If they finished early, the 6th graders listened to their buddies read to them for their AR tests that they could take some other day, like the library. Mrs. Chung also usually teaches the little buddies many different ways of how to make their writings better; using important things like mobility and carats to add in any extra information for their little brains to excel later on.

Just last week, to change things up, Mrs. Chung assigned new buddies than the ones her students originally had. Now all the students, both older and younger, get to experience working with someone different rather than working with the same person all the time. Although it can be difficult at times, everyone definitely has fun with their little buddies whether they act as a mentor, or friend.