Bad Magic Book Review

Bad Magic Book Review

Emily Briggs, Writer

The book, Bad Magic, written by Pseudonymous Bosch, is a novel about a twelve year old boy named Clay whose life is turned upside down when he is sent away to a summer camp on a volcano. When Clay is given a journal from his English teacher, Mr. Bailey, he decides to draws words that express his hatred towards magic inside, since he had learned to despise magic when his older brother, who loved magic tricks, left. However, these words soon appear on a wall in Clay’s middle school, causing everyone to believe that he ruined school property. As a consequence, his teacher, Mr. Bailey, gives him a choice to go to a  summer camp called Earth Ranch or be expelled. Clay decides to go to Earth Ranch, on a volcanic island called Price Island, where it is rumored that a girl died when she was caught in the middle of a volcanic explosion, and her ghost still roams the island . Clay begins to believe that this camp is insane, since nearly everything the people do seem to relate to the Shakespearean play, The Tempest, in one way or another. He soon realizes that the purpose of this is to play a “game” set for him by his older brother, who had gone missing two years previously, so that Clay may begin to trust magic again and join a secret society of magicians.

This book expresses magic, adventure and mystery and always keeps you on the edge of your seat. Just when you think you know what the rest of the story is, the whole entire plot takes a turn. Many exciting surprises and plot twists will keep almost anyone hooked to this extremely secretive book by Pseudonymous Bosch.

Many students also enjoy this book. Lauren O. from Mrs. Chung’s class says, “I thought it was a super good mystery book!” Her favorite part was when Clay finally arrived on Price Island, and she especially enjoyed the backstory of Price Island in the book. Mary C. also liked the book a lot and claimed, “This book was very mysterious and creative with the whole idea of The Tempest. I loved it!”